Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Internet Problems

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've had a lot of difficulty today getting my internet connection at home to work. I use the university's broadband internet, even at home. To log on, I click on "Ruijie Supplicant," installed on my desktop by the tech guys who came to set up my service. (I find that funny -- "supplicant" seems like such an old-fashioned word to describe logging onto the internet. It makes me think of lots of bowing and scraping and groveling! If groveling would make this #$%@ connection work better, I'd be happy to do it -- puleeeeeeze?! with sugar on top? I promise I'll never yell at you again. Really, I mean it this time. Puleeeeeeeeze?! There, do you think that will do it?) This morning, I kept getting "Supplicant Failure" messages. I guess I need to work harder on my begging -- I'm a complete failure as a supplicant!

I was finally able to log on late today, but for some reason I can't get to this blog -- even though I can sign in and post to it, I can't see it! For a while there I was beginning to think the Chinese internet police were blocking me, but since I can post, I think there must be another problem. I hope. Email has also been spotty, so if you don't hear from me, that's probably why.

I will be most unhappy if this doesn't get straightened out. I don't miss American TV or newspapers, but I'll feel like a lifeline has been cut if I don't have my internet! It made my day when I found a loooong cord (50 meters!) to hook up to the internet outlet in the girls' bedroom -- now I can be on the internet, comfortably at my desk in the living room, when they're asleep. Ah, it's the little things that make you happy!

More later. I hope.

No comments: