Saturday, July 14, 2007

Say XIEZI!

After I taught English in Maya's class on Thursday, her teacher wanted to do a group picture with me and the children. That's how I discovered what you say in Chinese to get a smile for the camera -- it isn't, "Say CHEESE!" Instead, the kids were told to say "Xiezi!" Translation: shoe. Pronounciation: something close to "chedzu." Funny, huh?

This has made me curious -- there must be some make-em-smile word in every language. If you know any, share them in the comments. I'd love to know more!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also, the way you say cheese in Chinese is prounounced "cheese-uh." Sue (leaving for China in 4 days!!!)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Happy Graduation to Zoe!!!
Sue

mimifrancoise said...

I can't remember what we sais in France to get others to smile (afterall, I've been in the US for almost 50 years) but i remember that we were told as children "Regarde le petit oiseau". We were convinced that a bird was going to come out of the lens...hmm, not very bright kids were we?
bises