Sunday, July 15, 2007

A VERY Quiet Weekend

My goodness, we were lazy this weekend! We left the house exactly once, and that was for dinner on Saturday because I was too lazy to cook! In fact, going out to dinner is the only reason we got dressed – all three of us spent the day in our nightgowns.

Part of the reason for our laziness is that Maya and I are both a little under the weather. She has a cold, and was so congested Friday night she kept waking up crying. I ended up putting her in bed with me so she wouldn’t keep Zoe awake, but that of course kept me awake! Still, she was feeling much better Saturday morning, and she and Zoe played quietly and let me sleep in. She seems completely over the cold today.

I think the heat has done me in this week. I’ve been so busy keeping the girls hydrated I think I neglected myself. And as much as I sweat, that’s a problem! Wednesday I was running around like crazy in the heat – taking the girls to school, running errands, doing laundry, going grocery shopping (and I ended up on un-airconditioned buses to and from the store, worse luck!). Thursday I was feeling light-headed and tired, and realized it must be heat exhaustion. So I took it easy on Thursday and drank water and Gatorade until I sloshed when I walked! I was feeling pretty good by the time I walked to kindergarten to do English lessons and pick up the girls. But Friday the dizziness was back. So we’ve now stayed out of the heat for two days doing virtually nothing, and I’m back to normal.

We’ve really been lucky on the health front. I brought every children’s medicine known to man, and Friday is the first time I’ve used any of it. And with all the exercise I’ve been getting, I’m far healthier now that when I got here. What with air pollution, hygiene differences, food and water issues, I expected we’d all take turns getting sick. How very fortunate we’ve been! If only we can make it another 16 days!

2 comments:

Jeff and Madeline said...

Glad to hear you are on the mend! Get well all, heat can really take its toll.
Thank you for sharing all of your adventures, even the homebound kind. I am really getting a sense of daily life there and it looks like more of something I really WANT to do.

park it said...

I can't believe your time in China is almost at an end...culture shock - upon coming home - where you can drink the water - I think that was the only thing that I really had to remind myself on - don't eat certain foods (salad etc) and don't brush teeth etc in the H2O...

So the big question, when are you going back?

Carol in Florida