Thursday, June 14, 2007

Maya's File!

I got it! Our guide got them to fax it to him, and he faxed it to me at the hotel here in Guilin (I didn't know anyone still used that roll fax paper!). I'm so happy to have it, since it has just the information I wanted -- Maya's measurements at the time she was checked into Guiping SWI.

She was tiny -- only 4.2 pounds at 17.7 inches. Her head and chest circumference seem impossibly small -- 11.8 and 10.4 inches respectively. They report her overall health condition as good, so it's hard to know if she was a preemie or not. But there's no doubt she was an itty-bitty baby.

The file also had six-week measurements. She gained almost one pound and about 3/4th inch. Her head and chest circumference increased 2/10ths of an inch. I have no idea if that is normal growth or not -- any pediatricians out there (hint, hint, Lisa!).

I am so happy to have this piece of the puzzle! Our guide has my eternal gratitude (you've surmised correctly -- I'm deliberately NOT giving you the name of the guide at the guide's request!).

This journey has been a definite series of highs and lows. Getting the fax today was definitely a high!

7 comments:

mimifrancoise said...

This is such exciting news. I am so very glad you received that fax. Seeing Maya now you'd never guess she was such a peanut at birth. And she has been so healthy. Thank God for that. Hope you are having a great time with cool weather.
bises

mimifrancoise said...

I am so happy. I am sitting here (at day break), with a smile on my face. We've been talking about wanting this info ever since Maya's referral. I bet Zoe wants to measure baby joy to see if that doll is bigger than Maya was when she arrived at Guiping SWI. Woohoo!
I am not sure if I still have jetlag or if I have acquired the bad habit of waking around 4:00 a.m. It's a good thing I am retired. I don't have to be on my toes all day long!
bises

Anonymous said...

Malinda - as always, I love reading your blog. What an exciting week for you. BTW, my Guatemalan "peanut" was 4.1 lbs @ birth. She's now 4, still petite, eats like a horse and runs like a deer. She was not a preemie, just a wee one. My guess is she'll just make the five foot mark at her adult height. Also, my own birth weight was just 4lbs - "petite" was never a word to describe me!!

A.M.B.A. in MI

Anonymous said...

Oh my what a little
peanut she was ,but
how healthy she looks
now. This infor fills
the gap you had. Mary

Anonymous said...

Yeah! So happy for all of you - that is priceless info :)
Joanne

Jeff and Madeline said...

Awesome! It sounds like a wonderful journey and fruitful!

Special K said...

I'm so happy to hear that you got Maya's file. All important pieces of her history. Both for you and for her someday.